The MooseWood Nature Center is happy to announce the long awaited reveiling of Shelldon’s New Home through an Open House on Sunday, September 29th from 2pm to 4pm filled with activities, programs and giveaways. Shelldon’s New Home provides a larger and more naturalistic environment promoting his overall well-being and offering an impactful educational experience for the nature center’s visitors.
Imagined and built by volunteers Kellan Ehrich and Ella Barnes, Shelldon’s New Home expands to 40o+ gallons of water providing much more room for swimming, a shallow area leading to a dry area for basking, along with a realistic rock background featuring a small waterfall and live plants. The open water will feature an assortment of water plants and animals providing an abundance of food to eat.
“We are grateful for the support of the community and other turtle lovers out there,” say board member Tiffany Rantanen. “The $1500.00 raised through the GoFundMe and other received donations has enabled us to improve Shelldon’s living environment and allows us to continue our educational efforts about Shelldon and his friends in the wild.”
The afternoon activities will include:
- Rock painting at 2:00 pm
- 20-minute presentation on snappers and his other shelled friends at 3:00 pm
- Meet and talk with Kellan, the builder of Shelldon’s New Home
Other activities both kids and adults will enjoy include:
- An up close look at nature using the digital microscope
- Learning about fluorescent sodalite and see how it glows
- Playing in the magnetite discovery table
- Taking a walk in the bog or on the island trails
- Meeting Shelldon and the other educational animals
- An opportunity to adopt an animal through the “Adopt-a-Critter” program
- A chance to win a giveaway too
Please join us!